Thursday, September 8, 2011

Happy Thursday

A GAME ANYONE CAN PLAY

The most miserable people live in their own little worlds of isolation. They do little for others and rarely have much fun.

I heard of one older gentleman who was considered by the townspeople to be both rich and thrifty. His austerity earned him the reputation of a miser. When he died, everyone expected the authorities to find money stashed everywhere in his home. All they found were a few gallon
cans filled with coins.

It came out that he had used most of his money to help put needy young students through college. And the coins filled his pockets as he walked down the streets of the business districts looking for cars whose parking meters had expired. When he found one, he would drop in a coin. One of his neighbors commented, "That explains why he looked so happy and contented!"

Of course! People who go out of their way to help others will always be happy.

I once tried the same thing with parking meters. I decided that, whenever possible, I would look for expired meters and drop in a coin. It became a game to see how many I could find just around my own car.

Then I learned something disturbing. I discovered it was illegal to do that in the city where I lived. When I learned that I was breaking the law, I quit looking for meters to feed. And I lost an extra bit of joy I found in anonymously helping out a stranger.

I believe that now it's time to change the rules of the game. It can be about doing something kind for somebody else - anything! - and not getting caught. Anonymous notes or cards ... flowers on a desk ... raking leaves in secret ... you get the idea. The trick is to remain anonymous. Plan in secret, act in secret, and most of all, have fun.

It's a game that is guaranteed to make you smile. And best of all, everyone is allowed to play.

-- Steve Goodier

All the Way My Savior Leads Me

  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.
  3. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Oh, the fullness of His love!
    Perfect rest to me is promised
    In my Father’s house above.
    When my spirit, clothed immortal,
    Wings its flight to realms of day
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way;
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way.
Morning Smile

"What happened to you?" asked the bystander of the man lying on the sidewalk outside of the beauty parlor.  The man shook his head groggily and rubbed his bruised chin. "Well, the last thing I remember was my wife coming out of the beauty salon. I took one look at her and said, 'Well, Honey, ... at least you tried.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment