Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Wednesday

Editor's Note:
     Monday ran into Tuesday without sleep as I focused on work and what needed to be done making for a 39+ hour day... Today will not be a time for rest either as Friday is my deadline for the next StarLight News... There is so much that needs to be done before I can start on the paper layout... Rest will come when it is needed... Right now my energy level is high and my focus on MY LORD... 
     Today's Devotional I have been saving for over two years... Today it is perfect...
Have a Blessed Day... Richard
Time To Rest
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." – Hebrews 4:9-11

One evening, my husband enthusiastically went into our kitchen and proceeded to sweep the floor. Not knowing what else he was planning to do, I went to bed. The following morning, when I came into the kitchen, I saw the mop and bucket sitting in the corner. I realized then that he had mopped the floor—which I had also done just recently. I wondered why he did not ask me first or notice for himself that I had already mopped. I was not upset, since he was obviously trying to do a good thing, but it was unfortunate that he labored over a task that had already been done. He could have spent the time resting instead, and the outcome would have been the same.

How many times do we as Christians do the same thing—laboring over something needlessly? This is exactly what happens when we try to accomplish things that God has already promised to do for us. For example, if God has given us a calling that we feel is beyond our abilities, do we stress and fret about how it will ever be done, and be done well? Instead of struggling with it, all we need to remember is that God's callings are His enablings: "My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9). At other times, we may labor over trying to make ends meet when God has already promised to supply all our need (Philippians 4:19). Or we might be laboring over an important decision when God has said He will direct our paths (Proverbs 3:6).

What else could we be doing for the Lord if we did not spend time trying to accomplish on our own what God has already promised? We could be resting! There is a rest that God wants us to enter into. After we pray and believe, we can rest in God's Word and trust that He will do His part. Our Christian walk will be much easier if we do not labor for things that God has already done!


I Found A Friend
I’ve found a Friend, O such a friend! He loved me ere I knew Him;
He drew me with the cords of love, and thus He bound me to Him;
And round my heart still closely twine those ties which naught can sever,
For I am His, and He is mine, forever and forever.


I’ve found a Friend, O such a friend! He bled, He died to save me;
And not alone the gift of life, but His own Self He gave me!
Naught that I have mine own I call, I’ll hold it for the Giver,
My heart, my strength, my life, my all are His, and His forever.


I’ve found a Friend, O such a friend! All pow’r to Him is given,
To guard me on my onward course, and bring me safe to heaven.
The eternal glories gleam afar, to nerve my faint endeavor;
So now to watch, to work, to war, and then to rest forever.


I’ve found a Friend, O such a friend! So kind and true and tender,
So wise a Counselor and Guide, so mighty a Defender!
From Him who loves me now so well what power my soul can sever?
Shall life or death, shall earth or hell? No! I am His forever.


Daily Smile
Little Pete came home from the playground with a bloody nose, black eye, and torn clothing. It was obvious he’d been in a bad fight and lost. While his father was patching him up, he asked his son what happened.

“Well, Dad,” said Pete, “ I challenged Larry to a duel. And, you know, I gave him his choice of weapons.”

“Uh-huh,” said the father, “that seems fair.”

“I know, but I never thought he’d choose his sister!”

No comments:

Post a Comment